Hello everyone! Here is a fun DIY project we did a little while back. We were inspired by Gucci and all of the monogrammed purses and clutches we’ve been seeing in stores and online. We found these awesome and inexpensive clutches from Forever 21 and decided to make our own. This would also make a great gift. Who doesn’t love something personalized? Forever 21 seems to be sold out of the clutches online so check in stores, and American Apparel also has a great selection of real leather pouches. Give it a try this weekend if you’re feeling crafty!
1. Start with a plain clutch, some acrylic paint, brushes, sponge applicators, painters or washi tape
2. Tape off the area you would like to paint. We decided to do stripes so measure equally on both sides to make it centered.
3. Start painting making sure to do thin coats to prevent bleeding. You’ll need about 2 to 3 coats for each color. Make sure the paint is completely dry before you tape off again for additional stripes (f you do this, be very careful, the paint can peel off if you do it too soon). We used a hair dryer on the cool setting to speed up the drying process.
4. For the monogram we made a custom stencil based it off of this tutorial. We printed out different sized letters in plain, bold font. Tape painters tape or washi tape over it and cut out the letters with an X-Acto knife. Carefully peel off the tape from the paper and use the tape as your stencil. This didn’t work that well for some of us. So we tried doing it free hand and some different stencils from the craft store.
5. Let the paint dry completely and you have your finished clutch!
TIP: Use a baby wipe or alcohol pad if you mess up. It comes right out!
Check out our Instagram to see how we finished off our clutch with a little extra something.